Friday, February 5, 2010

Joining all the cool kids in the blogging world

After reading so many other food and fitness blogs, I decided to join in and start my own blog. I recently finished grad school and I'd like to share my experiences of finding an awesome career as I challenge myself to be the healthiest and fittest I can be.

About me...I became a vegetarian six years ago. At the time, it was for ethical reasons, however, last year I began to think more about what I eat and why; the idea of processed foods sank in and I was forever changed. I have always loved working out (something my mom instilled in me!) but I never really pushed myself to the limit. I broke my ankle when I was a teenager and I think that I believed that it would keep me from ever being truly athletic. Throughout undergrad and grad school, I drank more alcohol than a frat house, ate bad food, and felt gross. Physically, I was a mess.

Last year, when I began to pay more attention to the food that I was eating, I also spent more time at the gym and took up running. I lost about 12 pounds and have kept them off. Unfortunately, I have crummy knees that like to act up if I run too much, so I'm in the process of strengthening my surrounding muscles and I have to ice and elevate my knees after every run. Ironically, the one thing that I thought would inhibit me, my bad ankle, very rarely, if ever, bothers me (unless it's raining out, it hates moisture in the air!)

I live with my amazing boyfriend and our cat, Emma, in Palm Desert, but visit Lake Arrowhead often where my parents and their awesome golden retrievers and cat live. My mom is a very healthy eater and I like to think that most of my good eating habits were formed because of her! I'm attempting to get the boyfriend to eat more healthy foods and work out more, especially when I'm not around to fix his food and drag him to the gym :)

That's all I got for now...more to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment